Welcome to my blog, hope you enjoy reading
RSS

Saturday, April 21, 2007

New Job Experience

Monday
First day my job in IBM. Left my house before 8am. I've made many mistakes on this day. 1st: went to sg besi highway direction. It was traffice jam started from the exit from sri petaling. 2nd: Try detour to old klang road (cos I know from sg besi to federal highway will be jam) but seem that old klang road even worst. Move slow compare to federal highway direction. I took nearly an hour to escape from the jam. But after old klang road join to federal highway no jam. And I cut thru kerinchi link which give me a smooth all the way to 1U. 3rd: Park my car at Plaza IBM basement which hourly rate! First half day RM8 then I removed my car to 1U cost RM3. Not only parking rate expensive but I'm also bad luck....my car got 'kemek' by someone's car when I took my car at basement during lunch time :(( wanna cry liao....


First day in IBM was an orientation day. about 20+ people same started their first day. We were placed at one room to listen presentations about the company, the departments, the benefits and etc which they wan us to know. Then we had welcome lunch at Good Evening Bangkok. All presentations end around 5pm. Then they distribute ThinkPad to everyone. And we need to configure everything that needed which took another 3 hours. End up I left work at 8ishpm :(. Here many rules...many things to know especially lots of terms! And passwords as well. every single thing also need password...ids....etc etc.

My first day was very tired due to too many informations gotta know...too many things to remember. phew... However good thing is everyone are new and we have common. Know some new friends there. Oh yah...first day suppose will have a mentor to guide you...but I'm the unlucky one cos my mentor not free. And I'm the only one from IT department...the rest are from Finance, Accounting, Sales, Customer fullfilment etc.... sigh...

Tuesday
Was told by my manager I gotta attend DB2 Boot Camp. Leave earlier from home. Go by sg besi highway all the way to federal highway. I don't dare to go by old klang road anymore. Park at 1U which everyone said this is the cheaper option for parking. After parked but I lost my way to walk to office. walked around and asked around...end up walked a big big circle only manage to reach. sigh. Reached office and to the floor I'm suppose to be (but I have no idea where is my workstation is due to no one bring me before). Look for my manager but she is not in yet (that time was 9am). So someone else brought me to the training room. I was blur and donno what and who...lucky got a guy from same team guide me. Then only I know the Boot Camp is 3 full days training. So my second day was lectured and do some hands on practices. My mentor took me for lunch and helping me to solve my problems and telling me what I need where to get etc. tsk tsk...too many things to know at the moment...kind of a bit lost :p. Second day parking also costly cos I didn't remove my car during lunch (forgotten and no time). Cost me RM9 leh. Heartache :(( wa wa wa wa.... fyi, plaza IBM got season parking (or u can say not bcos the parking are other tenants which not move in yet) and monthly cost RM150 per month Mon-Fri only. Kind of expensive right? but for convenience I think I'll try to get one if possible. Damn... my expensive increase! ish ish. petrol + toll + parking...wa wa wa wa!


Wednesday - Thursday
still in boot camp. This DB2 9 boot camp is once a year by international instructor. I have to attend cos my job is technical consultant on DB2. I'm in IBM Innovation Centre (IIC) which help the Independant Software Vendors (ISV) to do engagement enablement by helping to do porting to DB2 from Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL and etc. So I gotta be expert in DB2 :p My job is to consult and guid them. Also need to answer questions that they ask. Most important is to get customer satisfaction for my performance...sob sob...not sure I can do it or not as now not that expert at all. Wed due to the training till quite late and forsee I'll be late for Wave class at 6:30pm so I just ask replacement and lucky got someone helped. Thurs got unit meeting from 5pm till 7ish pm...left office about 8. After so many long days working and when leaving office I feel that no where I can go and what should I do...was too tired yet feel like meeting friends. But end up went home to rest.


I was not feeling well on Thursday...had headache and sorethroat. After meeting and time to go home my head super heavy. After home do nothing and lie on the bed. I can fall asleep without knowing it. I no longer got a problem to get into sleep...because I'm too tired and not feeling well. It was long time I didn't fall asleep while doing something...now it happened again. Can you imagine how tired I am?

Friday
Everyday got to know new things and new people that I will work with. Even got someone putting pressures on me for the job I suppose need to do. I find that people in IBM really experienced and they are very technical....may be they worked long and know very well on operations...Kind of pressures cos someone expecting you should be expert as well. I've gotta more concentrate to work better. Today given a lot of stuffs to read....need to know how to get started and what should I need to do. A bit worry now but I wish I can take the challenge. If I'm successful to sustain will be no problem....Now hoping I can manage my time well between work and gym class. I'll get more classes in future....and work getting busy and need determination also... gotta justifying myself to such situations....wish me luck :)

*one thing to highlight - IBM has vending machines for free Hot Coffee, Milo, teh tarik and Cold Milo and Ice lemon tea...every floor has pantry with fridge and microwave oven :) U will love it hehehe

Now weekend...also do readings about my work. Will try to rest more and stay at home more. Need to dedicated for work more. Time to get out from comfort zone and aim for what I want.

1 comments:

Tweets said...

Don't worry, you can take the survive the challenge.

Nice pantry yoh.

Ya, I have to dedicate more to my full time job too.